6/21/2008

A reminder...

I've never really been dissatisfied with my house. Some days I'll wish for a walk-up attic, or larger bedrooms, or less wallpaper to remove, but then I just have to remind myself of all the things I like about this house (and there are lots of them), and I'm usually able to pull myself out of my pity party. For the past couple of weeks, though, it seems like all I can see is the negative. This hasn't been helped by planning to start a family. We're too far from other kids; the school system we're in is not so great; we can't walk or bike to the library/store/pool/etc.; there are no sidewalks; blah, blah, blah... This was further fueled by a ride through one of South Bend's historic neighborhoods. Beautiful old homes, at least 6 parks nearby, practically on the St. Joseph River, near stores and libraries and other amenities...

Sometimes I miss the city. Not that South Bend is a big city by any means, and it's not like we live out in the sticks. We're less than 7 miles from the downtown area (as the crow flies). I miss walking to the Chinese restaurant, being able to bike to my mom's house or to the store, free concerts in the park, bike/rollerblade paths. Tree-lined historic neighborhoods, filled with beautiful homes and people who care for them.

And then I remember why we moved: high property taxes, crime, small lots, and noise.

I can walk outside at night and see the stars. I can see the shadows cast by the moon. I can go for a run at midnight and not worry. I can bike to the farm market. I can send my children to preschool a block away, and grade school not much farther, instead of bussing my kids all over town. Our half acre of property might seem small sometimes, but it's a nice parcel and has minimal taxes. There is virtually no crime in our "neighborhood".

And then there's the house itself. It's not big. It's not fancy. In fact, it's about as plain as a craftsman home can get! But I love this house more than I ever imagined I could, even though it's not a bungalow, or a Tudor, or even a true foursquare.

I just needed to remind myself of that.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

A great tribute to your home!