5/03/2008

The Vintage Stove Chronicles: Before and After-ish

I've been working diligently on my stove for about 2 weeks now. So far I've disassembled most of the stove and thoroughly cleaned the inner body. I've also nearly finished with rust removal. Here are a few before and almost after shots. I still have a lot of work to do, but this is a sneak peek!

100_0929

100_0949

100_0964

100_0967

100_0951

100_0965

100_0966

You may notice that the area areound the oven dorr is still rusty, as is the very bottom of the frame. I do plan on cleaning those parts as well, but the cleaned parts of the frame needed to be painted ASAP. Since the stove is out in the garage, and it's been somewhat damp the past few days, the frame was rusting again within an hour of being cleaned. I didn't want to spray it with a protectant, since then I would just have to wash it with soap and water before painting, and that would possibly invite more rust. If I ding up the paint a little during the rest of the cleaning, it's no big deal, since I can always touch it up. This way I'll save it from rusting over again.

I have quite a few pieces ready to be sent out to the reporcelain company, and as soon as I remove 5 broken screws from the chrome top, it'll be ready to be rechromed. I still need to clean the oven and broiler, but that's no big deal. This is nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. I'll be nervous when it comes time to turn on the gas, but that's when I'm going to have a pro come out and check everything for me.

4 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

I hope to be doing this same project sometime this summer, so it's nice to have someone going before me & documenting it all :-)

Mind if I ask what type of paint you are using & it is spray or brush?

Do you have a method for keeping track of all the pieces, or are they pretty self explanatory?

Jenni said...

Wow, that is going to be a wonderful stove.

Di said...

stucco - This is nowhere near the difficulty level I expected. Maybe since old appliances are all mechanical, it just makes it kind of intuitive. I am using a service manual and taking lots of photos as I take it apart. The screws, nuts, and bolts for each section are put into a labeled ziplock bag, just so I know how many of what go where.

For paint I'm using Rustoleum's High Temperature black spray paint. I was hoping for semigloss, but it's satiny. I also was planning on using brush paint, but hubby said the spray was all they had at the store. Not a huge problem, just a little more work to mask around the parts I'm not painting (doors, certain screws, etc).

Be sure to post all about your stove when you get one!

Omar said...

Holy cow that is going to look so cool! :)