1/19/2007

Tag! 5 things you probably don't know about me

I was tagged by Andrea from Litter Box House to list 5 things about myself that most people who read my blog probably don't know. After reading about her international travels and archaeological experience, I feel pretty boring, but here goes:
  1. The only foreign country I've ever visited is Canada. My mom and I went to Point Pele a few times when we lived near Detroit, and I went to Stratford as part of a high school class on drama and plays. Other than that, the farthest from home I've even been is Arizona. One of my goals is to change that. I want to visit Italy, Germany, Ireland, and France before I die. I'd also like to go trekking in the Andes.
  2. I backpack. By myself. In the winter. I go in the summer too, but I don't mind camping out in single-digit temperatures. It's my pull-myself-together-and-forget-about-the-house time. This is a hobby I developed completely on my own. My mom and I never camped when I was a kid, but I always wanted to. When I was 19 or 20, I decided I wanted to take up backpacking, so I bought a backpack and off I went. I've learned a lot since, then, but I've loved it since my first trip. There's nothign better for stress relief than spending 3 days away from everything. If you're interested in pictures, you can check out my photo albums at Webshots.
  3. I am borderline obsessed with sand dunes and Lake Michigan. Starting when I was about 5 or 6, my mom and I started going on vacation to the Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan. We've since gone "up north" at least once every year, except for the year we went out to Colorado. Since I've started backpacking, I also frequent Nordhouse Dunes north of Ludington, since I can camp wherever I want. The dunes are probably the reason I haven't travelled more extensively. Given a choice, I'll always go "up north" instead of anywhere else. I couldn't explain it if I tried. People always ask me if I get tired of going to the same places all the time on vacation. On the contrary, going to the dunes is like coming home.
  4. I am pop culture impaired. I've never watched a single episode of Survivor, and I'm probably the only female in the universe who had to be told by her husband who Louis Vuitton is. I don't keep up on current events (except locally), I hate politics (even though I'm opinionated), and I have a horrible memory for the names of famous people. If Shayne didn't keep me up-to-date on what is going on in the "real world", I wouldn't have a clue.
  5. I love fantasy books. It started when I was in 2nd grade with "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher" by Bruce Coville, and just snowballed from there. I devour books about magic and adventurers with swords, but my real soft spot is still for dragons. My favorite authors include Melanie Rawn, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, Anne McCaffrey, and J.K. Rowling (yes, I've read all the Harry Potter books...). I probably have some kind of hero-complex from reading all of these adventure stories, which might explain my career choice (law enforcement).

To keep the game going, I'll tag L. Norris Hall House, Erwin House, Mr. Bungle-O, Brockton Bungalow, and 1916 Craftsman Bungalow. I know lots of blogs have been tagged already, so I hope I'm not hitting any repeats here... If so, I apologize!

No comments: