8/10/2006

The Stairway of the Damned, Part II

A few months ago, I posted an entry about the difficulties of stripping the stairway. It's not the stairs themselves but the railing, balusters, and newel post that are the problem. Space is tight, crevices are plentiful, and some of the finish had worn away before they painted, making the paint a pain to remove. If I could dismantle the whole thing, it would be much easier, but since it's so solid, I don't want to even try. I'm afraid that it would wobble after we put it back together. That, and I'm not even sure how it would come apart. There are no nails that I can see.

Maybe it's time to suck it up and buy some Peel Away...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - suck it up and get it done!

Mom

allison said...

Have you tried Multi-strip? We just started stripping all the trim in our 1888 home and the paint store manager recommended it. It is a wonder drug and the odor is not as bad as other strippers I have used. We have about 12 layers of paint and have been globbing on the stripper and leaving it on for 24 hours or more. The layers just peel off. We have just started the stairs and, luckily, ours do not have many balusters, etc. to worry about. We have lots of windows to do, though, and I don’t know how we will weather all the detail edges there. Good luck and remember that it will be worth it in the end!

purejuice said...

http://1902victorian.com/2006/08/my-new-favorite-thing.html

1902 victorian reports excellent results with "safest stripper" on deeply embedded paint in crevices.