Last spring and summer I just about completely disassembled my stove. It went from this:
Then I attacked it with a wire wheel and sandpaper, bring it to this:
Here's the progression from the back, which was worse-looking than the front:
So that's pretty much where I stand. I got hung up when I stripped screws on the underside of the cast iron chromed cooktop. All the PB Blaster in the world wouldn't loosen them, and the drillout kit we bought from Sears wouldn't penetrate the heat-hardened screws. We were at a loss. One of Shayne's friends who owns a machine shop had to heat the screws with a torch, then work some magic to get them out. I have no idea what he did, but I'm eternally grateful.
This week, I'm sending out the burner heads, drip pans, and burner grates for new porcelain (shiny! pretty!). I'm also going to start calling around to plating shops so that I can have the cooktop rechromed. And in the meantime, starting today, I'm going to finish cleaning and priming the few bits and pieces I didn't get to last summer.
Unfortunately, the way that the stove is assembled, most of the "guts" are attached to the cooktop. I won't be able to do much with them until the top is rechromed. But I plan on being ready once it's shiny and new and ready for action.