8/11/2007

I hate Lowes

Every time I go in there, I end up spending WAY too much money. $214 later I came out with 6 gallons of paint and primer, roller covers, a lead-approved respirator, grass seed, and weed killer. Ugh. There's no such thing as renovating on a budget.

When I got home, I scraped and sanded the window trim, door trim, and 2 baseboard pieces for the living room. I now have about 8 pieces that are ready for finish sanding and stain (maybe 50 feet total). Not too bad. I only worked on pieces that could be done outside. I don't want lead dust floating around until I can open the windows and put in fans for cross-flow. The stairway doesn't have lead paint on it, but all the rest of the living room woodwork does. There are a few pieces of baseboard that I was afraid to take off, since it was so brittle, and parts of the window trim had to stay in place as well. I'd like to do more, but it's 87° outside, and the driveway is in full sun. I was starting to bake a bit out there, so I'm inside for a break.

Next on my agenda today is cleaning out the little front bedroom and preparing it for paint. I've got some furniture and clothes there that need to be taken to Goodwill, plus it's just generally messy. Imagine that...

2 comments:

Our Little Bungalow said...

Gotta love the lead paint! Almost all of ours is on the exterior of ours. Lucky lucky lucky us. However it's very hard to get it removed with a 6yr and a 3yr attached to your hip. Of course we do have some under some lovely wallpaper, but I'm so not looking forward to that decision. Sounds like you were very productive today, more so than I!

The Litter Box House said...

Hey! I'm so excited to see you blogging again.

I too am contemplating a Zip Wall - I got the idea from House in Progress. I know I need to do something once I'm ready to sand those damn stairs...

Andrea