12/16/2007

The living room is DONE!

Well, not quite, but we're down to punchlist tasks like replacing the outlets and outlet covers and touch-up painting. We even have our Christmas tree up (but not decorated yet). I'm also in the process of finding furnishings, as the Eiffel Tower lamp just isn't very Arts and Crafts-y. :) Somehow, probably because this project took so damned long, we managed to forget that the original trim is missing from the window at the bottom of the stairs and on the landing. I have a header for the landing window, but we'll need to either recreate or salvage the rest. Still, even though it isn't American Bungalow material, it looks like a living room, and it feels like home. In celebration, here's a little photo tour.


The living room, as seen from the stairs. New wood futon frame, new mattress cover, old pillows. Gotta work on those pillows, but they'll do for now...


The doorway to the dining room, complete with ornery cat. The walls aren't really 2 different colors, it just looks that way in the photo. Who knows...? The wall with the futon is a good representation of the wall color.


Here's the rest of the wall. My aunt and uncle "donated" the little corner bookshelf (and the matching bookshelf in the next picture), and they fit in perfectly. I love the Eiffel Tower lamp, but it's going to live in the office as soon as I can find a replacement.

Doesn't the front door look awful now? I hated it before, but now that it's up against some nice woodwork... Ugh. I need a bigger wreath.


And, the front window. The header is one of my two favorite pieces of trim. It has a beautiful grain pattern, but I can't get a better picture of it until I have my tripod. We got paper shades from the Home Depot. After 2 years, I was finally tired of everyone who drove by getting a peek into the house. I like my privacy.

Now if only we weren't terrified to hang pictures on the walls...

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Absolutely lovely. I really like those matching bookcases.

Omar said...

Looks great! I really like the color on the walls, what is it?

Di said...

The walls are Sherwin-Williams' "hubbard squash" from their historic Arts and Crafts collection. I love how cheerful and warm the room looks, even on dreary days. I've never liked yellows/golds much, but this one is great.

lsaspacey said...

Please don't just throw away your door. That's a classic style and someone with a 1950s home might be looking for one. In fact, new companies are manufacturing those again, like Crestview Doors; that style is worth $1,265 on their site at Crestview Doors.com.
http://www.crestviewdoors.com/default.php?uiid=products&door=westhaven

Anonymous said...

Afraid to hang pictures???

Don't be. Buy Floreat hangars from Zabicki Imports (available online or at GOOD hardware stores, NOT Home Depot or Lowes). They make tiny, tiny holes in plaster are precision made and last for years and years. I take mine with me every time I move.