3/29/2010

Taking the plunge: backyard chickens

I ordered my chicks today, and they're scheduled to arrive on May 3.  We got 2 Australorps, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 gold-laced Wyandotte.  All are gentle, quiet birds that tolerate confinement well.  I hope to let them free-range (or at least range in a movable "chicken tractor"), but I don't want them pecking at each other when we do have to keep them in.

I'm pretty excited about the idea of having actual livestock.  Yeah, I know.  They're just chickens...  But it's another step towards my homesteading dream, another step towards being more food-independent.  It's also another step away from normalcy.  A veggie garden is excusable.  Lots of people have those.  But chickens?  Not so normal. 

Oh well.

2 comments:

Gaby said...

Wow, I have my Australorps too and they’re quite good for a breed. Wish you well for that actual livestock. I remember I have the same excitement as you do when I started such too.
Backyard Chicken

Gaby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.